Understanding Carbon Monoxide
As stated by the CDC, “Carbon Monoxide or ‘CO’ is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you.”
Carbon Monoxide is a very serious gas and is found in fumes every time you burn fuel of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: burning fuel in motor vehicles, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, gas heaters, fireplaces, gas ranges, heating systems, and generators.
Our first line of defense against CO poisoning is being educated about the risks, symptoms and how to tell if it’s present indoors. Given that CO is odorless and colorless the only way to identify if there is a Carbon Monoxide leak somewhere in your home is to have working CO detectors present on each floor and within each bedroom, similar to smoke detectors a CO detector can only help you if you can hear it.
CO detectors expire. It is crucial to make sure that your CO detector is working, the average CO detector only lasts five to seven years. If you can’t remember how old yours is, buy a new one.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
A direct quote from the CDC’s Carbon Monoxide FAQ page states, “the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.” It is important to know the signs and again, keep working CO detectors throughout your home at all times.
For more information on how to protect your home and prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning, please visit the CDC’s website at the links provided.
If you suspect CO in your home, or alarms have gone off alerting you to the presence of CO, get to fresh air immediately and call a professional.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | CO Carbon Monoxide - FAQ